In this addition to the well-received Paideia series, Mary Ann Beavis examines cultural context and theological meaning in Mark. The commentary provides comprehensive but accessible discussion on a section-by-section basis and develops discussion with Scripture directly included in the commentary. Skills in ancient languages are not required for these commentaries, but students of the humanities will value them for their rich presentation of the cultural and social context, geography, and other disciplines.
Paideia (Gr. "Education") commentaries explore how New Testament by
- attending to the ancient narrative and rhetorical strategies the text employs
- showing how the text shapes theological convictions and moral habits
- commenting on the final, canonical form of each New Testament book
- focusing on the cultural, literary, and theological settings of the text
- making judicious use of maps, photos, and sidebars in a reader-friendly format
Customer Questions & Answers: