The Reading Horizons Discovery
program materials provide parents with scripted and guided material suited to teach their struggling child the fundamental skills of reading, or to teach their emerging reader the foundational skills that will help keep them from struggling in the future.
Based on the Orton-Gillingham approach, the Discovery program provides explicit, systematic, and sequential literacy instruction through multisensory activities. Helping students to improve their reading skills and increase their reading grade levels, this research-based program is built upon teaching the 42 sounds of the alphabet, five phonetic skills, and two decoding skills (explained below) that can be used to then decode most of the English language. Reading Horizons uses a unique marking system to help students identify vowels/consonants, and the role they play in the word (e.g. x for vowels, arrows for two-letter slides, etc.).
This program is best suited for emerging readers ages 4-9, or for struggling older readers.
The Reading Horizons Comprehensive Teacher's Kit includes:
- Reading Horizons Comprehensive Teacher's Manuals Vol 1 & 2: Intermediate and Adult Education based on "Discover Intensive Phonics for Yourself"
- English Language Enhancement, 103 pages, softcover
- Reading Horizons Student Workbook, 230 pages, softcover
- 3 fold-down paper posters for the 5 phonetic skills, vowels, and 2 decoding skills
- 2 large glossy posters with blends and 42 sounds
- Set of reverse listening cards printed on colored paper (suggested for parents to cut out and laminate)
Customer Questions & Answers: