His faith was diplomatic at best: his absolutist devotion to king and country daily competed with his loyalty to God. Yet Thomas Cranmer's propensity toward diplomacy led him to find the via media-middle way-between Catholics and Protestants in an age when compromise equaled a double portion of treason. His ensuing martyrdom sparked the brushfire of English Reformation, and his Book of Common Prayer and 42 Articles facilitated the emergence of Anglican Christianity. Christian History & Biography invites you to read more about this man who chose to act faithfully when faith was on the line.
Inside this issue you'll find:
- Courage When It Counted - Thomas Cranmer was the most cautious, even indecisive, of reformers-until his final hour.
- Also: Understanding Cranmer - Cranmer Obeyed Reason First
- Why Queen Mary Was "Bloody" - And why her persecution of Protestants failed
- Also: A Tale of Two Martyrs - The burning of Reformers Nicholas Ridley and Hugh Latimer
- Destroying the Monasteries - Where was Thomas Cranmer during this unscrupulous chapter in the English Reformation?
- The Gallery: Reform from on High - The English Reformation, more than others, was the work of the principalities and powers.
- Also: The English Reformation's Most Famous Martyrs
- Catholic Counterpoint - What was it like to be on the losing side of England's Reformation?
- Acrobat Theologian - It's not easy to take a balanced view of doctrines like predestination and Communion-but Cranmer did.
- "The Most Healthful Medicine" - Why, and how, everyone should read the Bible
- Unmatched Masterpiece - The cadences of Cranmer's Book of Common Prayer continue to nurture Christians worldwide.
- Also: Perfect Words for the Contrite Heart
- The Christian History Interview: The Tradition Continues The distinctive legacy of Thomas Cranmer, and the Anglican "middle way" today.
- History in the Making: Longhairs for Jesus - It scandalized many Christians and made Time magazine-so, like whatever happened to the Jesus Movement?
Issue 48 (Volume XIV (14), Number 4)
Customer Questions & Answers: