Michelangelo, the great master, the paragon of Western art, was more than a solitary creative genius. He was a man wholly devoted to God, his calling, and his friends. In this issue you will learn about Michelangelo's deep faith demonstrated in his life and depicted in his art. In the larger context you will discover the role that art played during this era of rebirth and reform.
This issue of Christian History & Biography provides an opportunity for you to ponder how art could reflect and impact the worship practices and beliefs of Christians in our day.
Inside this issue you'll find:
- Larger Than Life - Michelangelo Buonarotti reached the pinnacle of fame as a sculptor, painter, and architect, yet he longed for something more.
- Scripture on the Ceiling - Michelangelo's frescoes in the Sistine Chapel make a profound statement about the creation story - and the artist's own creativity.
- Painting the Town Holy - Rebirth and reform in Renaissance Italy.
- The Stones Will Cry Out - The theme of Christ's death followed Michelangelo through his whole life.
- The Art of Grace - Justification by faith, in living color.
- Also: And the Dead Shall be Raised
- Gallery: A Renaissance Gallery
Issue 91 * Summer 2006
Customer Questions & Answers: