It is not just one word among many, but it is a central reality for which Christians are thankful to God. Consequently, a faithful understanding of justification is not merely a concern of academic theologians but of all Christians. Discussion of this crucial matter reached a watershed during the Reformation, but concerns raised since then have not all been resolved throughout the church. In fact, current debates, even controversy, about justification among Protestants and between Protestants and Roman Catholics have been chronicled for general readers in periodicals such as Christianity Today
and Books and Culture
. In Justification
Mark Husbands and Daniel J. Treier bring together notable evangelical scholars and teachers to address from biblical, historical, theological and ecumenical perspectives key questions that prevent complete unity between Roman Catholic and Protestant branches of the church and raise tensions even among Protestant denominations. Witnessing to certain signs of hope, these essays also acknowledge points of caution. But for every reader who is looking for guidance and orientation to this doctrine and current discussion, this book provides a wealth of charitable yet incisive insight. Key questions addressed in the volume include:
- Does the doctrine of imputation of Christ's righteousness need to be rethought, or does it faithfully reflect biblical teaching?
- How should the faith and transformation of the believer be understood in connection with our justification?
- What is the connection between our union with Christ and justification?
- What can we learn from Lutheran, Wesleyan and Anglican perspectives on justification?
- What does the Lutheran-Catholic Joint Declaration of 1999 contribute to current ecumenical discussions, and what prospects are there for real theological and ecclesiological reconciliation?
These and other questions about the vital fact of justification for Christian salvation remain of central importance for the preaching, teaching, believing and unity of the church.
Customer Questions & Answers: