By focusing on Exodus 34, The Unfolding Mystery of the Divine Name
provides a spiritual, exegetical, and theological essay on God's own nature and teh incarnation.
When Moses asked God to show him his glory, the Lord passed before him and proclaimed his name. And from that name cascaded a promise of grace and love, compassion and faithfulness, forgiveness and slowness to anger. The story is told in Exodus 34:5-7, but the resonant name reverberates through the corridors of Scripture.
In The Unfolding Mystery of the Divine Name
Michael Knowles teases out the rich dimensions and implications of this name by listening carefully to Exodus 34 and its biblical echoes. He particularly tunes his ear to the spiritual meditations of later sages. In tracing the unfolding mystery of the divine name throughout the span of Israel's story, he finds it startlingly resolved in the God of Sinai becoming present in our midst.
The manifold name of God has long captivated those who trace their spiritual ancestry to Abraham, whether they are Jewish, Christian or Muslim. This book brings this spiritual quest into dialogue with Scripture and tradition, and invites us to experience this God of the eternal name.
- Uses Exodus 34:5-9 as a lens for learning the name and nature of God
- Explores the resonance of Exodus 34 throughout Scripture
- Explores how the Jewish tradition has interpreted Exodus 34
- Provides a comprehensive theological and spiritual reading of the passage
- Enters into dialogue with the Islamic tradition of inquiry into the names of God
- Stimulates new insights for preaching, teaching and meditating
Customer Questions & Answers: